Archive for November, 2013
November 25, 2013 Leave a comment
Many Java static analysis tools exist right there, each one focus on a specific area and has its advantages, we can enumerate:
Pmd which is a static rule-set based Java source code analyzer that identifies potential problems like:
- Possible bugs—Empty try/catch/finally/switch blocks.
- Dead code—Unused local variables, parameters and private methods.
- Empty if/while statements.
- Overcomplicated expressions—Unnecessary if statements, for loops that could be while loops.
- Suboptimal code—Wasteful String/StringBuffer usage.
- FindBugs which looks for bugs in Java code. It uses static analysis to identify hundreds of different potential types of errors in Java programs.
- Checkstyle defines a set of available modules, each of which provides rules checking with a configurable level of strictness (mandatory, optional…). Each rule can raise notifications, warnings, and errors.